Date:      Wed, 11 Oct 2000 16:14:08 -0500
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jim Mock <jim@lust.geekhouse.net>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: New GNOME hacks, etc.

On Wed, Oct 11, 2000 at 01:41:55PM -0700, Jim Mock wrote:

> [...]
>
> If I don't want to build something with GNOME or ESOUND and it's found
> on the system, the port is using it anyway.

Unless you specify WITH_ESOUND=no or WITH_GNOME=no, which will
override the fact that it's present on your system.

> On a side note, I've had some not too happy people email me regarding
> the changes -- mainly talking about xchat/xchat-devel.  Before it was
> only necessary to have gnomelibs installed, but now since the knob to
> build with the panel has been removed and it's part of the HAVE_GNOME
> definition, it builds *all* of GNOME.

That's more of an artefact of the changes from GNOME 1.0 to 1.2
than anything else.  Compiling just up to x11/gnomelibs isn't
particularly useful any more since even ports that just use gnomelibs
tend to stick stuff in weird and wonderful places under
${PREFIX}/share/gnome/* which requires bringing in more of the
GNOME system to allow things to properly clean up directories etc.

One possible option is a GNOME mtree file, but don't expect it any
time soon.

Things will become slightly clearer in the 1.4 release (I hope), when
I split the x11/gnome metaport into two -- one containing core
functionality, the other containing "extra applications" that aren't
necessarily required, but are likely to be useful if the end-user
is becoming GNOMEish.  At that point, apart from the components
that make up the core functionality, there will be exactly one
external dependency that GNOME ports will need.

>  It seems a lot of people
> (including myself) would prefer just gnomelibs for the nicer icons,
> etc., but don't want all of GNOME installed.

With GNOME 1.0, x11/gnomelibs was enough for everything to work
cleanly..  with 1.2 and above, you have to head all the way up
to x11/gnomecore (which is by no means "all of GNOME").

-aDe

--
Ade Lovett, Austin, TX.			ade@FreeBSD.org
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve		http://www.FreeBSD.org/