Date:      Wed, 7 Nov 2001 17:10:55 +0000
From:      Thomas Hurst <tom.hurst@clara.net>
To:        Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
Cc:        David O'Brien <obrien@freebsd.org>, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Should we keep the vim5 port?

* Peter Pentchev (roam@ringlet.net) wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 07:47:51AM -0800, David O'Brien wrote:
> > Now that Vim 6.0 is out (with most .0 bug fixes); do we still need
> > the vim5 port?
>
> I personally think we should keep it a bit longer, for fools like
> myself who are wary of bloat and hidden bugs in the new versions :)

I'm inclined to agree - even though I use vim6 - especially when
installing the vim 6 port involves downloading almost 100 patches.

ATM it doesn't look like this is going to change for at least
another month.  I'm inclined to ask the maintainer to keep the
patches together so instead of 100 seperate files, have 10 bigger
patches/tarballs/whatever.  The extra bandwidth's probably going to be
offset by the reduced latency (and maybe gzipping) anyway.

And can I ask why patch 12 (any maybe a few others) was missed?  As I
recall that was for a crash bug with the polish translation - are they
banned from using FreeBSD? :)

--
Thomas 'Freaky' Hurst  -  freaky@aagh.net  -  http://www.aagh.net/