Date:      Mon, 05 Jan 1998 21:02:01 -0500
From:      "J. Gaynor" <jeff.gaynor@ibm.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD , OS/2 and SMP

Kind Mesdames & Sirs,

I am interested in running FreeBSD on my workstation. It
sounds very good as far as features and stability. My
system is a dual processor Pentium with a Tyan 1462 motherboard.
I downloaded the test floppy and so far all seems really
very nice. The only 3 questions I have are the following:

* Does FreeBSD support multi-processor architecture? What are the
  limitations? (Does the OS farm out threads automatically, or is
  dependent on the program?) Does your standard C/C++ compiler
  come with the necessary headers etc. to write SMP-aware
  applications?

* I use Warp Server 4.0 as my standard OS. Is there support for
  reading HPFS partitions? Do FreeBSD and OS/2 coexist in a friendly
  fashion on the same system?

* I also use System Commander to manage multiple boot configurations.
  You maintain that multiple boot configurations are allowed, but
  as near as I can tell, I must use your loader to do this. If you have
  no direct knowledge of System Commander, then the alternate question
  to ask is this: Are there any limitations on the installation
  partition, specifically, can FreeBSD be installed to an extended
  logical partition, or must it be installed to a primary partition.
  If it must be installed to a primary partition, does this have to
  be on the first physical drive (like SCO Unix)?

     Thank you very much for your time. FreeBSD, with its cross
Unix compatibility and features really does look quite excellent.
I look forward to hearing from you in the future.

Sincerely,

Jeffrey J. Gaynor