Date:      Thu, 12 Sep 1996 14:47:57 -0600
From:      Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>
To:        tony@rtd.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DNS/host config (RFC 1597 ether/PPP)

> Any tips for configuring a FreeBSD system
> (hostname/DNS/resolver/PPP) with two interfaces (PPP to ISP/dynamic
> address allocation and local Ethernet) ?

I've done it, but I really don't have any tips.  I sort of just figure
out what to do as I go along.  Let's see:

Turn on the gateway option on the host which has two interfaces so it
can route between them.  Do

	gateway=YES

in /etc/sysconfig.  Also, on that host, set up the /etc/hosts file
with two entries since it'll be multihomed:

	1.2.3.10    blah.what.ever.com blah
	1.2.4.1     blah-gw.what.ever.com blah-gw

The ppp interface uses the IP address without the -gw (for `gateway').
The network_interfaces section in /etc/sysconfig then looks like:

	network_interfaces="lo0 de0 tun0"
	ifconfig_tun0="inet 1.2.3.10 1.2.3.10 netmask 0xffffff00"
	ifconfig_de0="inet 1.2.4.1 netmask 0xffffff00"
	ifconfig_lo0="inet localhost"

For all your hosts on the other side of your gateway host (on the
1.2.4 subnet in this example), set defaultrouter in /etc/sysconfig to
be the -gw IP address:

	defaultrouter="1.2.4.1"

I'm not running DNS or YP, so I make /etc/host.conf on all my hosts
look like

	hosts
	bind

I don't get my own subdomain---all my hosts are just part of my
provider's domain.  And I use their nameservers, so make
/etc/resolv.conf look like:

	domain what.ever.com
	nameserver 1.2.3.4
	nameserver 1.2.3.5

> Hosts on the ethernet (RFC 1597 addressing) access the net via
> Socks5 running on the FreeBSD system (this part is working well)

Oh, these aren't other FreeBSD (or other Unix) hosts!  Okay ... the
same ideas apply.  The default router for those hosts is the IP
address of the FreeBSD host's -gw.

> I'm running into issues like what should my hostname be (part of the
> ISP domain, or part of some local domain),

Depends on whether your ISP is willing to allow a local domain and
your willingness to run DNS.

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory    kelly@fsl.noaa.gov