Date:      Mon, 15 Jul 1996 11:00:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Paul Danckaert <pauld@umbc.edu>
To:        Mike Newell <mnewell@kaizen.net>
Cc:        jbhunt <jbhunt@mercury.gaianet.net>, freebsd-security@freebsd.org, root@mercury.gaianet.net
Subject:   Re: New EXPLOIT located!

On Mon, 15 Jul 1996, Mike Newell wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Jul 1996, Paul Danckaert wrote:
>
> > The normal policy we use when setting up machines here is to do a find
> > for suid and sgid files on the system.  Pick off the essential ones, and
> > strip the bits off any others.  Its saved us from several irix and sun
> > holes in the past.. and one or two bsd ones now too.
>
> What do you consider "essential ones"?  I realize that a case-by-case
> analysis of the pros/cons of what to/not keep SUID would be a book in
> itself [:-)], especially since the usefulness of each is dependent on what
> the system is being used for.  However it would be nice to know what
> utilities *must* be SUID for a baseline system, and especially what
> utilities are "safely" SUID and what aren't.

Well, the case-by-case basis of it makes it sort of difficult to come up
with a real list.  Some things I am unsure of, since I don't know if they
will adversely affect the system.. but in general

PPP/slip  (ppp{,d}, sliplogin)
Multicast (mrinfo,mrtrace)
SuidPerl  (sperl*, suidperl*)
Rdist     (I run usc's rdist)
timed     (timedc.. I run xntpd anyway.)
mount_*  commands

If its a server box, and doesn't have to be very user friendly, I take a
more restrictive approach and nuke things like at{,q,rm}, lock, and
things like that.

Now, I'm sure that most of these are safe.. however, if they are not
necessary for the system to run, and I don't use them, I don't see the
point of leaving them suid root.  After all, I can make them suid later
if I need them..

One question I do have, on an unrelated topic, is if people have a way of
setting up a box so people can't just ^C the boot, and get a root
prompt?  Perhaps putting a trap in the rc scripts, or something else?

paul