Date:      Tue, 15 Aug 2000 15:13:56 +1000
From:      Nick Slager <nicks@albury.net.au>
To:        "Wong Tze Chuan (Central)" <TWONG@DIGI.COM.MY>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: file too big!

Thus spake Wong Tze Chuan (Central) (TWONG@DIGI.COM.MY):

> Hi,
> When i tried to fdimage the kern.flp to a:, it gives me the error message
> file too big!
> I downloaded al the flp file from
> ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/3.4-RELEASE/floppies/
>
> and how come the boot.flp size is even 2.88K? how to do fdimage of that?
> I am new to FreeBSD, and you documentation is not clear, and not straight to
> point as well.

From the README.TXT in the same directory:

  For a normal CDROM or network installation, all you need to copy onto
  actual floppies from this directory are the kern.flp and mfsroot.flp
  images (for 1.44MB floppies).

and further:

  If you're on an ALPHA machine which netboots its floppy images or
  you have a 2.88MB or LS-120 floppy capable of taking a 2.88MB image
  on an x86 machine, you may still wish to use the older (but now
  twice as large) boot.flp image which we also provide.  That contains
  the contents of kern.flp and mfsroot.flp on a single floppy,
  essentially, and can be used in all of the above scenarios as well
  as a handy boot image for those mastering "El Torito" bootable CD
  images.  See the mkisofs(1) command for more information.

So the documentation is there; you just haven't read it :-)

If you're installing FreeBSD, you should probably grab 4.1-RELEASE
instead of 3.4.

Further instructions are in the installation section of the FreeBSD
Handbook. http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/

Nick.