Date:      Tue, 10 Nov 2015 14:05:48 +0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>
To:        Christopher Sacchi <christophersacchi@gmail.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 14 year old programmer would like to contribute code to FreeBSD

On 11/10/15 12:59 AM, Christopher Sacchi wrote:
> Hey,
>
> My name is Chris, (in case you cannot already tell) and at a CodeDay event
> I realized I'm better at working in a team than by myself or when I lead it
> ATM, and because I love FreeBSD and Linux as well as programming (in the
> subject of the email) I would love to help whenever I can.

Hi chris,
Being an open source project, FreeBSD is basically yours to do with
what you will.

Find something that interests you and try understand it.  Almost anything.
That's pretty much how we all started.  You don't need an invitation.
(and you won't get one :-)  )
Probably as you are just starting out you'll not immediately reinvent
the answer
to world famine or even a better wifi driver, but if you're enjoying
yourself
that doesn't matter. If you ARE enjoying yourself, then EVENTUALLY
you'll see something that's just broken, or you can see how it can be
improved.

look in the web source interface for some of the last people to touch
that code.
  ( https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ ) and just email the last 3 people
with your idea.
if they are still active (some people decide to go get real lives some
times) you'll
probably get a reply and you can run the idea past them.

As a beginner you'll probably find there are sides of the problem you
just hadn't realised,
like "backwards compatibility" or "POLA"  .. look it up :-)
   https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/freebsd-glossary.html

Don't get discouraged. Speak up on the mailing lists and you'll get to
know
people and people will get to know you.
It won't happen over night, but  nothing worth while does.

Julian