Date:      16 Oct 1999 14:57:30 -0700
From:      asami@freebsd.org (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        Gary Jennejohn <garyj@muc.de>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: empty directories ?

 * From: Gary Jennejohn <garyj@muc.de>

 * I'm working on updating the xemacs21 port to version 21.1.7.
 *
 * I noticed that, when installed using the port, a whole slew of empty
 * directories is created in the PREFIX. These are apparently place-holders
 * for various packages and I @dirrm them in PLIST.
 *
 * These directories are not created by pkg_add unless I ``@exec mkdir'' them
 * in PLIST. The result is a bunch of error messages when pkg_delete is done
 * if I don't do the mkdir's.
 *
 * I'm just wondering - should I mkdir all these empty directories so that
 * pkg_delete doesn't complain, or just let the user think there's something
 * wrong ?
 *
 * Seems like mkdir'ing is better from a POLA viewpoint.

Well, the first principle of packaging is that a pkg_add'd package
should look exactly the same as a "make install"d port.

Yes, I think they should be mkdir'd, since they are supposed to be
used before.

Satoshi