Date:      Fri, 6 Oct 2017 00:29:17 +0100
From:      tech-lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portmaster, portupgrade, etc

On Thu, Oct 05, 2017 at 12:22:30PM +0100, Mike Clarke wrote:

>the currently available package is built against php56. Using poudriere for this one task would
>be equivalent to using a steamroller to crack a peanut. Building phpMyAdmin from ports is no
>great problem for me and perhaps future development of pkg might avoid the need to build
>my own version but I'd hope that documented methods will continue to exist for users with
>this type of need.

I encountered exactly this issue a few days ago. Was suprised to find
that I couldn't find phpmyadmin built against php70 in packages, so built php70
then built phpmyadmin. This was easy just using the ports framework. I
hope the ability to use the ports tree like this never disappears as
it's one of freebsd's great strengths i think.

I'd use packages more were it not for the received wisdom that mixing
packages and ports is a Bad Thing (tm) - is this still the case?
--
J.