Date:      Sun, 29 Dec 1996 01:11:53 +1100
From:      davidn@sdev.usn.blaze.net.au (David Nugent)
To:        harpo@javanet.com (John D. Szumowski)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pine setup...

John D. Szumowski writes:

>> This suggests you need a local mail reading config, in which
>> case, Pine should work. What errors is Pine reporting?
>
> Ok...let me get this straight. Pine works *fine* for local email. That
> however, doesn't help since I'm the only user of this machine.

Fair enough. It sounded like your ISP had set up smtp delivery
to your machine rather than to their own mail spool, and if
that was the case, then local reading would work (of course :-)).

> Anyways,
> I'm waiting to hear from my isp's tech-support as to whether they run
> imap or not. I don't know. I just want to be able to pull messages off
> my shell account (@ javanet).
> Pine, I have heard, doesn't support pop

Yep, sure it does. Pine supports both POP2 and POP3.

Just don't use it for your default folder since it quite won't
work as you expect. Pine will allow it, but it keeps your
primary "INBOX" open while it runs, so you'll never see any
new mail in there due to deficiencies built into the braindead
POP3 protocol. IMAP, unlike POP, is intended for interactive
use, whereas POP3 is a (very) simple mail download protocol
where the number of messages available MUST NOT be updated
during a single session regardless of reality. You also lose
the abilitity to U)ndelete messages, along with a slew of other
features most Pine users enjoy.

The idea is to add any pop3 folder as a secondary "incoming
folder", and download any mail there immediately you open it
to your local system, where you can work on it and enjoy all
the facilities Pine has to offer.

To set Pine up to read via pop3, edit your .pinerc and set or
change the following:

  # If you're running sendmail locally, you won't need this.
  # This tells Pine to deliver mail your send to your ISP
  # rather than hand it off to your local /usr/sbin/sendmail
  smtp-server=your.isp.smtp.server.fqdn

  # Leave this blank, and point it to your local inbox
  # which will be /var/mail/yourname
  inbox-path=

  # Adds the POP3 connection as another folder
  incoming-folders="POP Mail" {your.isps.fqdn/pop3}INBOX
>                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
(note the format of this line in particular)

  # Add these features (select any others you might like too)
  feature-list=enable-incoming-folders,
		enable-aggregate-command-set

[fdqn=fully qualified domain name - ie. your host's address]

Now, run up Pine, and change folders with L to your ISP POP folder.
Enter your name and password when requested (you'll have to
enter this each time, or hack the Pine sources to enable the
"save login and password to disk feature, which is enabled by
default only for single-user OSs, like DOS/Win/OS2). If any
mail is there, mark it all with ";A" and S)ave it to your
primary INBOX. Bingo - you've just "downloaded" your mail. :-)

Just make sure that you read and respond to mail directly from
your own inbox rather than the POP folder - it'll save you a
lot of headache.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

David Nugent - Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-9791-9547  Data/BBS +61-3-9792-3507  3:632/348@fidonet
davidn@freefall.org davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn/