Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 2002 07:56:32 +0200
From:      Udo Erdelhoff <ue@nathan.ruhr.de>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@jhs.muc.de>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tracking down strange MTU issues with PPPoE)

Hi,
On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 03:59:39PM -0400, Mike Tancsa wrote:
> If I recall correctly, the tcpmssd
> daemon was to fix client connection issue behind the FreeBSD box, not
> directly from the FreeBSD box.

exactly.  The daemon enforces an upper limit on the MSS of any packet
passing over the 'DSL link'.

> Also, I thought the ppp client on FreeBSD has the mss fix built in.

Yes, but the solution in PPP only allows you to lower the MSS to
1452 so that the return packet is never bigger than 1492 bytes.
However, if you need an even lower MSS, you are still stuck with
tcpmssd.  I need to lower my MSS to about 1410 to get cvsup to work
correctly.

/s/Udo
--
Abandon the search for Truth; settle for a good fantasy.