From:      Daniel Lang <dl@leo.org>
To:        dxoch <dxoch@escape.gr>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vinum Question

Hi Jim,

[..]
> Is there is any chance that vinum-related options in the loader.conf
> (vinum_load ="YES")
> can help me to boot from a vimum volume, or this is completely
> irrelevant?

I guess so. I know of 'vinum_load="YES"' only in /etc/rc.conf,
not loader.conf or kernel.conf.

Although I guess you could immediately load the vinum.ko,
before booting the kernel (i.e. load the kernel, load the
module along with other modules like splash, then boot the kernel),
but this does not help you to boot from a vinum device.

The problem is, that in FreeBSD, the bootstrap loaders and the
kernel reside in the root-partition.
The booting process is described very good in

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/boot.html

You will notice that each stage just knows as much about the
the disks/filesystem as it needs.
So boot1 knows about the disklabel and slices to find boot2
boot2 knows about about UFS/FFS to find /boot/loader or
/kernel. Themselves they reside in the MBR, or the boot-sector
of the slice.

Although loader is more sophisticated, it does not know about vinum,
too. The first thing to know about vinum is the kernel with the vinum
module loaded. In order to really boot from a vinum device,
previous stages also have to know (at least something) about vinum
devices. This is not the case, and I guess very difficult to
implement. If you look at other OSes which allow booting from
managed volumes, you may notice, that they have a special
boot-filesystem (e.g. /stand, /boot), which must meet certain
requirements, (like contigous block allocation, the first partition
on disk/slice, etc). I guess it would be really painful to
try to provide this functionality, with many drawbacks
(I guess most in code-stability), huge effort required and
little advantages.
If you need average security agains disk-crashes, you can keep your
data in vinum-volumes and back up the root-partition on a regular
basis e.g. with dd. If you really need more security, go and
buy a SCSI-SCSI raid-controller, which is seen as one or more
single disks, independent of its real disks and configuration.
You save yourself lots of trouble.

Ok, this is just my opinion, based on some experience.

Best regards,
 Daniel
--
IRCnet: Mr-Spock           - Burn them to ashes, then burn the ashes. -
*Daniel Lang * dl@leo.org * +49 89 289 25735 * http://www.leo.org/~dl/*