Date:      Sat, 15 Apr 95 02:35:24 -0700
From:      Bakul Shah <bakul@netcom.com>
To:        Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Just how fast can we go... (was: Re: SCSI target)

>                                                     And maybe with
> 100 mbps ethernet and fs cache it isn't even an interesting idea.
> The latency of the SCSI in FreeBSD is pretty discouraging.

TCP/IP over SCSI can be useful even if boring.  You don't
need a separate 100Mbps card and > 1MB/s is better than what
we get with enet!  High SCSI latency says you want the MTU
to be large (let us see: with an MTU of 8KB on a 10MB/s max
rate SCSI bus you can get 80% effective use even with 200us
command overhead -- if the system bus cooperated).

> The actual use of this code is similar to where Bakul used
> it:  in an embedded system, in our case in an industry (graphics
> pre press) that needs the interface to be SCSI.

In my case I conviced my client to dump SCSI (this was for a
closed system).  I replaced their fancy Multibus II SCSI
controllers with a pair of very simple FIFO boards built out
of samples and scrounged parts.

What we really need are *disks and tapes* that talk network
protocols or a kind of simple distributed memory protocol.
SCSI needs to die.

--bakul