Date:      Thu, 1 Aug 1996 02:23:22 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@iafrica.com>
To:        InsaneX556@aol.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with installing from MS-DOS partition/floppy.

InsaneX556@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 96-07-30 20:09:02 EDT, rnordier@iafrica.com (Robert
> Nordier) writes:
>
> << InsaneX556@aol.com wrote:
>
>  > This is a pretty bad problem. I rawcopied the boot.flp file to the boot
> disk
>  > and it works perfectly. I am trying to install from an MS-DOS (Win95)
>  > partition. I copied all of the bin files into the c:\freebsd\bin directory
>  > and tried installing. The program installs all the partitions and
> everything
>  > is fine, until it gets to the copy/slash stage. Once the install program
>  > reaches about 120K of the first file it quits with an error message that
>  > there's an error writing the files. This problem is especially weird,
> because
>  > it actually READS from the partition, so it can't be a problem with
>  > recognizing the partition. I am trying to install from a Western Digital
> 2.5G
>  > EIDE hard drive onto a partition that is on the last 500M of the hard
> drive.
>  > I tried a floppy installation, but it doesn't even recognize the files on
> the
>  > floppy as the bin distribution files. Someone please help, I need to
> install
>  > the system FAST! Thanks for your help.
>
>  Would you happen to know your drive geometry, and the cluster size
>  of your DOS partition?  (The cluster size is the "allocation unit"
>  size reported by 'chkdsk'.)
>
>  Some problems have been reported when using FreeBSD to access DOS
>  partitions (particularly with large cluster sizes) on 64 head, 63
>  sector IDE drives.
>
>  --
>  Robert Nordier
>   >>

> Ok, I have 4960 Cylinders, 16 Heads, 63 Sectors, and cluster size is 32,768
> bytes. That is only because I had to chop off a 500M partition, or else it
> would be 64K! But I was installing it on my 500M partition, which has like 8K
> cluster sizes. Thanks for your help.

Your parameters don't quite match the profile, so you may not have
the problem I had in mind.  However, the present FreeBSD DOS code
(which we're working on replacing) does tend to be a bit shaky
accessing large DOS partitions (even 500M).

You did say the error was on _writing_ (not reading) the files?  If
an error occurred while writing to the disk, the problem may well be
at another level, and your drive simply isn't being recognized/handled
correctly.

It could be worth retrying a floppy installation, to see if any
files then get written to the hard drive without errors.

Which version of FreeBSD are you installing (2.1 or 2.1.5)?

I haven't done a floppy install in a while, and the files needed
on the floppies differ from one version to the other.  Do you have
the files in directories off the root (eg. a:\bin\bin.aa) and - if
2.1.5 - do you have 'bin.inf' on the first diskette?

--
Robert Nordier