Date:      Sun, 14 Mar 2004 23:43:52 -0800
From:      Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 4.8p16 buildworld fails with NO_OPENSSL

Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org> writes:
> On Sun, Mar 14, 2004 at 10:11:06PM -0800, Dave Hayes wrote:
>> Ruslan Ermilov <ru@freebsd.org> writes:
>> > This has been fixed in RELENG_4 in src/secure/lib/Makefile,v 1.19.2.5.
>> > You can pull up that revision manually, as these fixes won't go into
>> > security branches.
>>
>> I'm using that version and it still appears not to work (modulo my
>> naivete):
>>
>> # cd /usr/src/secure/usr.bin/telnet
>>
> Why are you doing this?

To show that both /usr/src/secure/usr.bin/telnet and
/usr/src/usr.bin/telnet have the same failure. I really want the
latter to compile and install, but it won't with NO_OPENSSL defined.

> You have requested NO_OPENSSL, so no secure version of telnet(1)
> will be built.  /usr/src/secure/usr.bin/Makefile won't descend into
> the "telnet" subdirectory if you specify NO_OPENSSL.

Ok, but that doesn't explain why /usr/src/usr.bin/telnet is
failing. ;)

>> It appears to be looking for libtelnet.a in both cases, which is not
>> built if NO_OPENSSL is defined per src/secure/lib/Makefile,v
>> 1.19.2.5. (and I am reading the Makefile right).
>> Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?
> Yes, you do something wrong.

The question is: what?
------
Dave Hayes - Consultant - Altadena CA, USA - dave@jetcafe.org

A person being delivered from the danger of a fierce lion
does not object whether this service is performed by unknown
or illustrious individuals.

Why, therefore, do people seek knowledge from celebrities?