Date:      Fri, 4 Dec 1998 18:44:56 +0100 (CET)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        dfr@nlsystems.com (Doug Rabson)
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installing boot?

As Doug Rabson wrote...
> On Fri, 4 Dec 1998, Wilko Bulte wrote:

> > I still want the FreeBSD bootbits so:
> >
> > mv /boot /boot.netbsd
> > mkdir /boot
> > cp loader /boot
>
> Oh... I forgot about the way NetBSD loads the second stage bootstrap.

Well, so did I ;-)

> They should take the code from my boot1 which understands UFS (originally
> from the i386 bootstrap).

Maybe they should, I'm not sure what their ideas are.

> > And then a new nit:
> >
> > axp33# ./disklabel -B -b /boot/boot1 da1
> > boot overlaps used partition a
> > Warning, boot overlaps partition c, marked as FS_BOOT
> > ./disklabel: cannot install boot program
> > axp33#
> >
> > Hmmm. Does this mean I have to re-install from scratch afterall?
> >
> > Thanks,
>
> Try using da1c instead of da1.  I don't think it works unless you specify
> the 'c' partition.

Unfortunately:

axp33# disklabel -B -b /boot/boot1 da1c
boot overlaps used partition a
Warning, boot overlaps partition c, marked as FS_BOOT
disklabel: cannot install boot program
axp33# disklabel -B -b /boot/boot1 /dev/rda1c
boot overlaps used partition a
Warning, boot overlaps partition c, marked as FS_BOOT
disklabel: cannot install boot program
axp33#

I tried to be tricky by:

mv /boot /boot.netbsd
mkdir /boot & populate with /boot/loader

And then:

boot -fi /boot/loader

Alas: unknow executable format

For the rest everything works just fine using the NetBSD boot-bits.

Wilko