Date:      Wed, 12 Jul 2000 20:00:57 +0200
From:      "Christoph Drexler" <christoph.drexler@m2.khg-heim.uni-linz.ac.at>
To:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   VIA VT82C686A AC97 CODEC sound together with FreeBSD?

Dear FreeBSD-Users!

I don't have any experience with FreeBSD yet, but I am thinking about
changing my OS to FreeBSD (now using SuSE Linux 6.3).
Unfortunately I have got an ASUS K7M Motherboard with a VIA VT82C686A
Controller including a Direct Sound AC97 Digital Audio Controller, which is
not listed within the soundcards supported by FreeBSD.
This makes me ask:
1. Does anybody of you know whether there is any other possibility to make
this soundcard work with FreeBSD?
2. Does anybody know (or even have experience with it) whether it is
possible to use the Advanced Linux Sound Architecture (ALSA - supporting my
card- that's how I got it working with my Linux System) with FreeBSD?
3. Do you know if the FreeBSD-Developpers are planning to support this
soundcard in one of the future releases?

I would appreciate any ansers that can give me more information!

Thanx, Christoph