Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 2000 13:35:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Whats is this? FBSD 4.1 isn't stable!

On 20-Sep-00 O. Hartmann wrote:
> not happen! I think not to have faulty hardware, because this server runs now
> for about 2 and a half year without any hardware fault!

So?  Hardware goes bad.  I.e., it works fine for a while, and then
*wham* it breaks one day.  In fact, your hardware could have already been
somewhat marginal to begin with, and the stress of making world may have
caused something to overheat and cause the hardware to break, esp. memory
or CPU.  Bad memory and CPU's often cause Sig 11's.

> Is anyone out here who made the same experiences? What happened?

I've only seen it rarely, and in every case it was hardware.