Date:      Fri, 7 Aug 1998 22:41:51 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jb@cimlogic.com.au (John Birrell)
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, tlambert@primenet.com, Nicolas.Souchu@prism.uvsq.fr, chuckr@Glue.umd.edu, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: C and static initialization with unions

> > Seeing as nobody actually seems to want this, it's obviously not of
> > much interest.
>
> ... and these days it seems that the GNU tools get ported to the "older"
> OS first and you just use them.

And you get to become the "GCC for machine XYZ maintainer", which is what
I definitely don't want to do.

> So unless there is a late rush of people wanting to port FreeBSD to another
> processor for which GNU tools don't exist, I'd prefer to see the K&R bit
> dropped in favour of ANSI C and get people to learn to compile things with
> compiler higher warning levels.

These issues are orthogonal.  The prototype-based warnings require
that there are prototypes in scope.  The do *not* (or should not,
according to the ISO (ANSI) standard) require that the functions use
ANSI style declarations.

I am not suggesting that there will not be prototype in scope, in the
case an ANSI compiler is used.  There will be.  I am merely complaining
that ANSI style declarations and deprecation of __P() prototype
wrapping for forward declarations will cause older compilers to fail.
Similar arguments can be made about the non-use of the "extern"
keyword on such declarations, and forward declaration of structures
(used to allow object recursion).  8-(.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---