Date:      Wed, 16 Jun 2004 16:49:35 +1000
From:      Murray Taylor <murraytaylor@bytecraftsystems.com>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        taylorm@bytecraft.au.com
Subject:   Re: Paring down a FreeBSD system for flash drive use ?

On Wed, 2004-06-16 at 15:53, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> In message: <20040615.234508.12220305.imp@bsdimp.com>
>             "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com> writes:
> : In message: <1087357223.35868.4.camel@wstaylorm.dand06.au.bytecraft.au.com>
> :             Murray Taylor <murraytaylor@bytecraftsystems.com> writes:
> : : On Wed, 2004-06-16 at 12:09, Chad R. Larson wrote:
> : : > On Mon, Jun 14, 2004 at 09:04:28PM -0700, Joe Schmoe wrote:
> : : > >
> : : > > Murray Taylor <murraytaylor@bytecraftsystems.com> wrote:
> : : > > Google for minibsd
> : : > >
> : : > > http://neon1.net/misc/minibsd.html
> : : > >
> : : > > I have used miniBSD as a firewall box on an Advantech WEB-2143
> : : > > quite successfully
> : : >
> : : > Another thing to consider is that the FreeBSD 4.x kernel is quite a
> : : > bit bigger than in the old days.  Bloat seems like entropy,
> : : > inevitable without constant care.  Since most embedded systems are
> : : > not going to need SMP, nor the advanced virtual memory systems (no
> : : > disk--no swap), you might rather build your system starting with
> : : > perhaps a 2.2.8 system.
> : : >
> : : > 	-crl
> : :
> : : FWIW
> : : Im using FreeBSD 4.7 in a 32MB Compact Flash card ...
> : :
> : : df -h  says I'm using 47% of the CF card...
> :
> : Bah!  I've made 4.5 bootable CF's using only 9MB of my 16MB flash...
> : 47% of 32 is 15MB :-).  Of course that's w/o X.  The 3.4 based system
> : was only about 1MB smaller.
> :
> : I do it by not trusting installworld.  It installs way too much, so
> : instead, I have a list of directories to install and a glue script.
> : I'm currently adapting things to 5.x and hope to make it less TSC
> : specific.
>
> In addition, we try to not install GPL programs, which is harder to do
> without an explicit list of directories to install....  Hmmm, maybe
> installworld needs a NO_GPL flag :-)
>
> Warner
Ok ok so I'm only a green belt wizard who is more than happy with the
vanilla flavour that I create .... ;-p (and no I dont have X installed
(yet) on the CF)

All I did was follow the miniBSD instructions from the site mentioned
above then stirred up the stuff necessary to create the bridge firewall
and network monitor.

Having bashed picoBSD around several years ago, I am much happier with
the miniBSD structure as all the standard programs are there
_unmodified_.

Many is the time in picoBSD land when I have gone -
'If only option -x was in the build of this utility!!'
or
'Aghh - where's <name of needed program> when you want it"

mjt
--
Murray Taylor
Special Projects Engineer

The information transmitted in this e-mail is for the exclusive
use of the intended addressee and may contain confidential
and/or privileged material. Any review, re-transmission,
dissemination or other use of it, or the taking of any action
in reliance upon this information by persons and/or entities
other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you
received this in error, please inform the sender and/or
addressee immediately and delete the material.

E-mails may not be secure, may contain computer viruses and
may be corrupted in transmission. Please carefully check this
e-mail (and any attachment) accordingly. No warranties are
given and no liability is accepted for any loss or damage
caused by such matters.

This Email has been scanned for Viruses by MailMarshal.