Date:      Tue, 27 Oct 1998 10:31:52 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        gestura@nyherji.is
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: russian language mixes in sendmail

In a previous message, gestura@nyherji.is said:
> Hello,
>
> does anyone know why email sent in russian special character set mixes up
> after beeing handled in the mailing system, I get all kinds of garbage
> instead of readable russian letter for my russian users

You have to tell the sendmail system to handle 8-bit characters. It would
be better to send your mail as MIME encoded.

> I've recently upgraded the sendmail I run on my system to 8.6.1a

That's not possibly an upgrade. Do you mean 8.9.1a? If not, upgrade
to that.

> Með kveðju
>
> G.A.Grjetarsson
> gestura@nyherji.is
> M.T.S. B.W.Y.
> http://www.itn.is/grand
>
> Nyherji hf
> Kerfisþjónusta, netdeild
> internet@nyherji.is

"The crime bill passed by the Senate would reinstate the Federal death
 penalty for certain violent crimes:  assassinating the President;
 hijackiing an airliner; and murdering a government poultry inspector."
-- Knight Ridder News Service dispatch