Date:      Mon, 24 Sep 2001 08:21:36 -0400
From:      "Brian J. McGovern" <bmcgover@cisco.com>
To:        David Strait <basilisk@umail.ucsb.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DHCP going nuts?

>I'm having a problem with my dhclient, or, for the most part, setting up my
>internet numbers.  The problem follows an unusual pattern.

[...]

>My number is xxx.yyy.zzz.173
>On FreeBSD, my dhclient gets this address:
>xxx.yyy.zzz.172

[...]

>I didn't have this problem last year so I suspect someone in networking was
>messing around with the equipment.

[...]

>Other than keep yelling at my networking dept., does anyone have any solid
> advice about what I can do?  Even if you don't have any advice, a
> hypothesis of what is wrong is valued.  Thanks.

I'm assuming what you're describing is one machine, two operating systems,
different addresses for each.

What you describe above is a perfectly valid thing for a DHCP server to do.
MAC address is not the only criteria usually used for assigning IP addresses
by DHCP. There is the client-id field, as well as a few others (I can
pull out the spec if need be), that must/should/can (depending on the
working in the spec) be used to identify the client, and even different
forms of the client.

I expect the one that is biting you is the client-id field, as I'm sure
FreeBSD and Windows are not setting the fields identically. If you are
absolutely determined to get the same IP, then you need to make sure that
the request packets have all the same client information. I doubt yelling at
the network department will have little affect, as they probably can't change
the server. Matter of fact, your problem probably 'started' when they upgraded
the server to a version that does the _correct_ thing.

Anyhow, you have both my opinion, and the solution. You may have to research
dhclient.conf(5) to make my solution a reality, but it shouldn't be too
difficult to do. You'll probably want a packet sniffer, and a copy of the RFC
that defines DHCP, so you have all the option numbers handy.

	-Brian