Date:      Tue, 17 Dec 2002 00:35:53 -0600
From:      "Aron Silverton" <ajs@labs.mot.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD 4.7 + WinXP + GRUB problem

I attempted to set up a notebook with a single drive to dual-boot and
now I am having a problem booting into XP.  Here's the story:

I split a notebook's hard drive in half (10GB each half) and installed
XP (NTFS) on the first parition.  I installed FreeBSD 4.7-Release on the
second half.  I was originally unable to boot FreeBSD, but this was
because I did not select a boot manager during the install phase.  I
went back into /stand/sysintall and installed the FreeBSD boot loader.
Upon a reboot, I was presented with the

F1 ??
F2 FreeBSD

menu and was able to boot either OS without any problems.  Yeah.  I
thought that it would be fun to try GRUB, so I did the following:

1.  Built the GRUB port
2.  Made the directory /boot/grub and moved the stage1, stage2, and
*stage1_5 files there from /usr/local/share/grub/i386-freebsd
3.  I created a menu.lst file under /boot/grub with the following in it:
(only relevant sections shown)

title FreeBSD
	root (hd0,1,a)
	kernel /boot/loader
title WinXP
	root (hd0,0)
	makeactive
	chainloader +1

4.  I created a GRUB boot floppy per the instructions in the manual,
rebooted, and performed the following steps:

grub> find /boot/grub/stage1
  (hd0,1,a)
grub> root (hd0,1,a)
  Filesystem type is ffs, partition type 0xa5
grub> setup (hd0,0)
  Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... yes
  Checking if "/boot/grub/stage2" exists... yes
  Checking if "/boot/grub/ffs_stage1_5" exists... yes
  Running "embed /boot/grub/ffs_stage1_5 (hd0,0)... failed (this is not
fatal)
  Running "embed /boot/grub/ffs_stage1_5 (hd0,1,a)... failed (this is
not fatal)
  Running "install /boot/grub/stage1 (hd0,0) /boot/grub/stage2 p
/boot/grub/menu.lst "... Succeeded
  Done.
grub> reboot

I wasn't sure what to think of the warnings, so I proceeded.  After the
reboot, I got the same F1, F2 menu that I started with.

5.  I used my XP CD to repair the MBR thinking that it was the problem.
  I ran fixmbr and rebooted.

Upon the reboot, I got the GRUB menu.  Selecting the FreeBSD option
worked fine, but selecting WinXP returned me to the menu.  I was able to
see a very quick error message saying, "Filesystem type unknown,
partition type 0x7" before the menu was redrawn.

6.  I rebooted using the GRUB boot floppy, and repeated step 4.  This
time, I substituted setup(hd0) for (hd0,0).  Does that make a difference?

I got the same behavior as before - FreeBSD boots, XP does not.  I tried
writing a new MBR once again, issuing commands from the GRUB prompt,
changing root to rootnoverify in the WinXP commands.  No good.

Any suggestions as to where I went wrong and how I can get my WinXP
install back or is it too late for me?  If it is too late, should I be
able to reinstall XP on the first partition and maintain my FreeBSD
install on the second?

Thanks,

Aron

--