Date:      Wed, 18 Jun 2003 10:15:07 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Advice on how to straighten out a crappy ISP

Terry Lambert wrote:
> Bill Moran wrote:
>
>>My ISP is Adelphia Cable Internet.
>
> [ ... ]
>
>>Does anyone have any suggestion on how I can get them to fix their
>>worthless shit?  I've tried being nice.  I've tried being an asshole.
>>I have nothing to threaten with, as there are no other high-speed
>>providers in this area.
>
> Volunteer to fix it for them for $$$.

I did.  They don't have any positions open right now and don't need
any consulting help.  (their words)

> Volunteer to fix it for them for free.

I did.  They didn't seem to understand that statement.

> Letter to the editor of every local paper, spaced 1 week apart,
> and explaining in plain English what's wrong with their setup,
> and the consequences for their customers.

I was considering that.  Seems like a lot of work just to get
someone to do what they're supposed to do anyway.

> If you can, get on one of your local TV stations as a contrasting
> editorial opinion, and use them as an example of a provider who
> does things the wrong way.
>
> Start a letter writing campaign by local users's groups.
>
> Contact the local TV station's "consumer advocacy" 5 minute human
> interest segment editor (e.g. in the Bay Area, "7 On Your Side").
>
> There are a lot of things you can do that would make it more cost
> effective to fix it than to continue doing Business As Usual(tm).

These are all good ideas, Terry, and I'll probably use them if I
come across problems again.  I just don't understand why I have to
pay for the service, then go out of my way to actually get it to
work.  I must be a shitty salesman, as I know lots of companies that
have things broken, yet don't need anyone to fix them.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies