Date:      Fri, 23 Mar 2001 15:10:08 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        Larry Librettez <lipshitz909@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-qa@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.3-BETA won't su to root in X terminal

On Thu, 22 Mar 2001, Larry Librettez wrote:

> Here are the outputs, appropriately named.  I concatenated the output
> for an rxvt window to the 'xterm' file. I hope this is helpful.

Unfortunately, it was helpful in the sense that it eliminated a few
sources of potential problems, but didn't identify the actual problem.
The next step may be to instrument su to generate more debugging output as
it proceeds.  Is that something you feel comfortable doing, or would you
like me to send you patches?

Also, can you e-mail me (privately) the output of running 'nm' on your su
binary, as well as the contents of your /etc/pam.conf and /etc/auth.conf?
This will provide me with more information about your system
configuration, as well as determine what features of su were enabled in
the version installed on your system (whether it ended up being a
kerberized version due to the sysinstall bug, etc).  Thanks, and hopefully
we can resolve this soon.