Date:      Wed, 7 Feb 1996 09:00:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.hda.com>
To:        julian@ref.tfs.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com, fwmiller@cs.UMD.EDU, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCI programming

We forwarded this gentleman's private e-mail to the list.
In general we ought to avoid this, and invite the originator to
send to the list himself.

>  Both these devices are Bus Masters..
> neither contains  accessible ram.
> you can't really pass data directly from one master to another.
>
> you need a RAM scratch pad that both devices can access.

A while back I set it up to DMA directly from a VME disk array
controller directly out a high speed multidrop card to an HDTV
frame buffer.  The disk array controller was set up to generate
non-ascending addresses.

I suspect the NCR PCI SCSI controller can do the same sort of thing
since the NCR 725 can be set up that way, and a network card with
a PCI visible FIFO could be the DMA target.

However, I know beans about network protocols, whether either card
exists, or how you'd want to hook the disk data in through the file
system - you'd want direct I/O.

--
Peter Dufault               Real-Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936