Date:      Mon, 17 Feb 1997 21:16:22 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dmitry Kohmanyuk <dk@dog.farm.org>
To:        karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se (Mikael Karpberg)
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: blowfish passwords in FreeBSD

In article <199702172225.XAA21874@ocean.campus.luth.se> you wrote:
> According to Mark Mayo:
> [...]
> > For DES, yes.... I wasn't really thinking abut the DES distribution, but
> > for future crypto distributions. The problem is that the 'main' FreeBSD
> > distribution site (ftp.freebsd.org) cannot export DES or other crypto
> > software to other coutries - for people in other parts of the world, who
> > perhaps aren't aware of the problems with the US gov.'s export laws right
> > now, it can be a little confusing when tey are told at install time that
> > because they don't live in the US they can't install DES/Kerberos... I
> > guess maybe the FTP install could be setup to automagically use a non-US
> > server when the user picks a sensitive crypto package?

> That would be GREAT! If nothing else, when you choose DES, just pop up a
> requester and say "Are you within the USA?  (Yes/No/Cancel)" and default
> it to cancel. I for one haven't bothered to install DES because it seems

Just a minor nit.   Being _within_ USA and being subject to USA cryptoexport
laws can be not the same.  I am not U.S. citizen - just working there,
and because of that, don't want to use U.S. sites regardless.
Now, what about if I install software on machine outside the U.S. if I am
U.S. citizen?  or if I not?  The legal warning should be more detailed.

> too much of a hassle. If you could just say "No, I'm not from the USA" and
> have sysinstall try a few Non-US sites and get the DES if you tried to
> install from a site called .edu/.us or .org/.com known to be US, or so.
> I dunno. Something at least. Something the user basically just have to say
> "No, I'm not from the USA" to, and it would do the rest. Period.
> Jordan? :-)

I think that just having main repository into a normal country can be a better
option.  Sadly, most normal countries have poorer Internet connectivity.

--
"There must be some part of the brain that only activates when you learn UNIX."