Date:      Thu, 10 Jan 2019 12:07:58 +0100
From:      Borja Marcos <borjam@sarenet.es>
To:        Borja Marcos <borjam@sarenet.es>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   MY FAULT. Re: Interesting: ZFS scrub prefetch hurting sequential scrub performance?

> On 4 Jan 2019, at 11:52, Borja Marcos <borjam@sarenet.es> wrote:
>=20
> I have done a test with the old scrub code (vfs.zfs.zfs_scan_legacy=3D1)=
 and I see a very similar behavior, with the=20
> scrub stalling again.
>=20
> Once more, disabling prefetch for the scrub =
(vfs.zfs.no_scrub_prefetch=3D1) solves the issue.
>=20
> I suffered this problem on 11 at some point but I attributed it =
(wrongly!) to hardware problems at the time.
>=20
> Not I=E2=80=99ve just found a talk about a new prefetch mechanism for =
the scrub by Tom Caputi. Could it be the problem?
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Dupn9tYh917s

My apologies for the false alarm!

My fault was to use a l2arc in the first place.=20

It seems that the latest updates have made l2arc more detrimental in =
relatively low RAM situations. And yes, in those cases in which l2arc is =
not recommended in the first place, scrub prefetch can make the =
situation worse.

But the blame should go to the improper usage of a l2arc, not to the =
scrub prefetch instead.=20

Sorry for the confusion and false alarm, although I still think that =
this lesson can be included in the guidelines for NOT using a l2arc for =
she sake of it.

Borja (jumping into a barrel full of tarr and feathers)