Date:      Fri, 6 Feb 2004 01:02:44 +0100
From:      Harald Schmalzbauer <h@schmalzbauer.de>
To:        Tom Glover <tomg@egg.net>, David McNett <nugget@slacker.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Promise SX6000 controller

--Boundary-02=_pmtIAVkPimKZQmq

On Thursday 05 February 2004 21:49, Tom Glover wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Feb 2004, David McNett wrote:
> > On 05-Feb-2004, Tom Glover wrote:
> > > Some questions on the Promise Supertrak SX6000 before I go and spend
> > > money on it ....
> >
> > I haven't worked with the SX6000 specifically, but in my testing I found
> > the Promise and the Highpoint cards to be erratic during drive failures.
> > The data was safe but it was not difficult to induce a system lockup
> > by disabling one of the drives in a raid1 configuration.
> >
> > I went with a 3ware card (hypermicro.com is a good vendor) which I found
> > to be nearly bulletproof.
>
> Which 3ware card are you using? And do you boot from it?

I'm not the one to answer, but I'd like to highly recommend the 3ware=20
controllers (7506-xx).
They are absolutely reliable if one drive fails, and they have been working=
=20
like a charm (including the 3dm disk manager) for me up to FreeBSD 4.6.
I don't know about 3dm and newer versions but the twe driver seems to be st=
ill=20
maintained.

Also it's been the only controller which worked after pulling out the power=
=20
plug of a drive, but I haven't tested the higher-end promise controllers (S=
X)=20
although I'm convinced that they're not worth the money. No HighPoint or=20
SiliconImage based controller ever passed any reliability test for me.=20
Perhaps they are really mirroring, but if one drive fails (hard) you have n=
o=20
working system.

And of course you can boot a RAID5 set with the 3ware. It's recognized by t=
he=20
ix86 as SCSI and the with the GENERIC kernel as twe.

Best regards,

=2DHarry