Date:      Mon, 19 Mar 2018 00:32:01 +0100
From:      Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
Subject:   Re: github fetch not working (solved, mostly)

>> Where did you get this version number? DISTVERSION=    g20161113
>
> I was trying to follow example 5.13 in the porter's handbook.
> However, this particular git tree has only a main branch and no
> tags, so it's not a perfect fit.
>
>> What about this
>>
>> PORTNAME=       ufraw-devel PORTVERSION=    g20161113 CATEGORIES=
>> graphics MASTER_SITES=   GH
>>
>> MAINTAINER=     freebsd@dreamchaser.org COMMENT=        Read and
>> manipulate raw images from digital cameras
>>
>> LICENSE=        GPLv2
>>
>> USE_GITHUB=     yes GH_ACCOUNT=     sergiomb2 GH_PROJECT=     ufraw
>> GH_TAGNAME=     6d3259a
>>
>> .include <bsd.port.mk>
>
> Unfortunately, that yields the same results.
> However, thanks for the hints;
> I did get it to work as follows:
>
> MASTER_SITES=   https://github.com/sergiomb2/ufraw/archive/
> DISTNAME=       master
>
> The link shown on the website for a "Download zip file" is
>    https://github.com/sergiomb2/ufraw/archive/master.zip
> But the file fetched was
>    ufraw-devel/master.tar.gz
>
> $ make fetch
> => Attempting to fetch
> https://github.com/sergiomb2/ufraw/archive/master.tar.gz
> fetch: https://github.com/sergiomb2/ufraw/archive/master.tar.gz: size of
> remote file is not known
>
> However, I'm still puzzled because this method totally ignores all the
> special hooks that are supposed to make a git repository work.

This is the wrong way. master.zip is the moving target. If somebody
commit something, then master.zip will be different and distinfo will
not match.
You need to fetch exact revision from github.
You may clone this repo and make new release on github in your repo.
Or you can fetch master.zip, rename it to something useful and upload
somewehere where your Makefile can fetch it.

Miroslav Lachman