Date:      Tue, 8 Sep 1998 22:31:25 -0500
From:      Ben Hockenhull <benh@jpj.net>
To:        davidj@zip.com.au
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: root account has been renamed?

>Hi,
>
>The root account on my machine (running 2.2.7) seems to have been
>renamed to Uroot. I can login as Uroot using the root password and I am
>uid 0. Both /etc/passwd and /etc/master.passwd have changed the first
>line from root to Uroot. /etc/group has remained the same, so Uroot is
>not a member of any groups apart from wheel.
>
>I have two questions about this:
>1. What caused root to be renamed? (Could I have done something really
>stupid to cause this?)

Chances are that you used pico to edit passwd.  The Pine/Pico 4.0
distribution has a known bug in it that leaves stray capital U's in edited
files.  Upgrading to 4.02 ought to take care of that.

>2. How can I get it back to how it was? (I tried editing /etc/passwd and
>/etc/master.passwd and deleting the "U" but it didn't work - I kept
>backups of the files before I edited.)

Use vipw.  It takes care of the file locking, file format checking and
pwd_mkdb needed to keep the password hash files in sync.

Ben

--
Ben Hockenhull
benh@jpj.net