Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 2000 06:50:44 -0700
From:      Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
To:        Neil Hoggarth <njh@kernighan.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UP kernel on SMP machine?

Neil Hoggarth wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Sep 2000, Nick Sayer wrote:
>
> > 2. Unless I comment out the psignal(p, SIGPROF); line in kern_clock.c,
> > spurious and seemingly random SIGPROFs are delivered as the rc scripts
> > are starting, which causes pandemonium.
>
> Hi Nick,
>
> This is probably not an SMP issue. Myself and several others have been
> having this sort of problem in 4-STABLE recently. Do you, by any chance,
> have a Qlogic SCSI card?
>
> http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/search.cgi?words=profiling+and+timer&max=25&sort=score&source=freebsd-stable
>
> The lastest post from Mark Rowlands suggests that he's had some success
> with a very recently CVSuped build, so the problem may be fixed ...

It does indeed have a Qlogic SCSI chip. I've been talking with the
maintainer of the isp driver, and he doesn't know about anything like
this. The most recent driver continues to result in a kernel that tries
to deliver these bogus SIGPROFs. The machine is now at 4.1.1-RELEASE
(it's not actually there quite yet -- since I can't remotely reboot the
damn thing, but the latest isp driver plus the ispfw driver didn't
help).