Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 2000 14:39:37 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Lanny Baron <lnb@FreeBSDsystems.COM>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: accessing portal site

On Sunday, 12 November 2000 at 20:18:57 -0500, Lanny Baron wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Nov 2000, Greg Lehey in the last wild and more than exciting...:
>> On Wednesday,  8 November 2000 at 13:19:03 -0500, Lanny Baron wrote:
>>> To whom this may concern,
>>> The fact that the site,
>>> http://program.intel.com/mp/admin/c_dynamic.asp?FILE=businessadvantage/index1.htm
>>> FORCES a user to use Micro$oft i.e. 5 is disgusting.
>>>
>>> I cannot think of any reason(s) why, Intel Corporation would not allow a
>>> user to use Netscape to get into the portal site. The same applies to the
>>> online training for the Intel Certification downloads.
>>>
>>> Our company, Freedom Technologies Corporation, only builds Intel Inside
>>> and (not currently allowed by your gov't) Intel Outside Servers. By that I
>>> mean we only sell/promote Intel Chassis, Intel serverboards, Intel Pentium
>>> III Processors (no celerons).
>>>
>>> We only put on the servers sold, the OS called FreeBSD, which Micro$oft
>>> uses to run HotMail.com and Yahoo! uses for its more than 1000+ web
>>> servers.
>>>
>>> I kindly ask on behalf of the Unix community, that your corporation ceases
>>> from forcing the use of Micro$oft products to get into some sites (the
>>> portal for example).
>>>
>>> To backup what I have said about MS and Yahoo! please visit the following
>>> http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2000/05/29/BU20648.DTL
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>>
>>> Lanny Baron
>>> http://freedomtc.com
>>
>> Lanny, I'd appreciate if you wouldn't copy the FreeBSD advocacy list
>> on this kind of message.  I personally disagree with its tone, and I'm
>> sure that you're not going to make any friends at Intel with words
>> like "disgusting".  By copying us on this kind of message, you're
>> implying that we agree with this opinion.
>>
>> It's another matter if you want to forward this kind of message to us.
>> I'm still not interested, but others might be.  I don't want to limit
>> your freedom of expression, just the incorrect impressions of the
>> FreeBSD project that you might arouse with such messages.
>>
>> Apart from that, I tried accessing the URL about which you are
>> complaining, and the only problem I had was that it required a
>> password.  If there's a problem, it would seem that at least you have
>> specified the wrong URL.
>
> You may not like my "tone". Which is to me,is unimportant in this
> issue.  The ISSUE was, Intel not allowing non I.E. browsers to
> access the portal and other private to channel users, site(s).
>
> I had already talked to a few people at Intel that had heard of
> complaints along the same thing. Though, nothing was done.

It's not very likely that this kind of message will help.

> When I wrote that letter and was contacted by phone by a more senior
> person, she had told me that it was not the intent of Intel to
> disallow other browsers (like lynx-ssl). She went on further to say
> that she would find out who had made the site to function in the
> evil way in which M$ does.
>
> Had I not did what I did, nothing would have changed.

This is not correct.  Somebody else might have come with a more
diplomatic approach.  Maybe they did, even.  You can't be sure that
this change is due to your rather abrasive message.  I am personally
convinced that it happened despite your tone, rather than because of
it.

> The end result is that I have made no enemies at Intel, and that now
> anyone can get to the site irregardless of what browser (so long as
> it is ssl capable) they use.

Again, you can't be sure you have made no enemies.

> This is not some apologetic answer back. This is to defend my
> warranted mail as a person whom is dedicated to promoting FreeBSD.

As I said, you're welcome to do what you want as long as you don't
involve us.

> In no way did I make any representation or link between myself and The
> FreeBSD Project or any of its communities.

By copying -advocacy, you implied exactly that.  Please don't do it
again.  You're more than welcome to behave in whatever manner you see
fit, but have the courtesy to not raise the impression that
FreeBSD-advocacy is behind you.

Greg