Date:      Tue, 24 Sep 2002 10:49:34 -0400
From:      Steve Shorter <steve@nomad.lets.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Silly vinum question

Howdy!

	I have 2 disks on separate SCSI busses that are
striped to form a single vinum volume. They are recognized as
da0 and da1

	I want to add 1 more disk to each SCSI buss and create
another striped vinum volume, but keep the initial vinum volume
intact.

	The issue ...

	When the 2 disks are added to SCSI busses the first 2 disks in
the initial volume are not recognized by the system in the same way.

	For instance ...

disk     SCSI buss     ORIGINAL CONFIG        PLANNED CONFIG

disk1      1               da0                     da0
disk2      2               da1                     da2
disk3      1                                       da1
disk4      2                                       da3

	The original vinum volume is configured on da0 da1

	Under the planned config the original vinum volume will
now be on da0 da2.

	While I could wire down the devices in kernel config ..

	Also I want to stripe to disks on separate busses so
moving the secound disk onto the same bus as disk1 is not a good
option

	I am still wondering if vinum will be able to build
volumes correctly based only on the information stored in the
per disk configuration even if the system sees them differntly.

	thanx - steve