Date:      Thu, 06 Feb 1997 12:57:37 -0600
From:      Gabor Kincses <gabor@acm.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Panic in probe, but no dump

I have been trying to get the Voxware 2.90b drivers on 2.1.5 to
recognize my Logitech Soundman Wave card correctly.  I managed to get
the card recognized as Soundblaster Pro 3.1, but unfortunately only one
speaker is working.

So after much searching of FreeBSD and Linux resources on the Net, I
have concluded that this card is in fact a MediaVision Jazz16.  I have
looked at sound.doc and sound_config.h in i386/isa/sound and saw a few
useful-looking options that I added to my kernel config.  One problem I
was faced with is that /usr/sbin/config didn't like option JAZZ16, but
understood option "JAZZ16".  Similarly JAZZ16 was not an acceptable
name, but JAZZ was.  I'm not sure if this is documented anywhere.
Certain defines are missing for the JAZZ16 and the SM_WAVE options.  It
seems to me that Linux has much newer drivers than FreeBSD, although
this is still to be proven.

The problem I have is to get a dump out of the sound driver probe.  I
pretty much followed the handbook on this.  I have set config root on
wd2 dumps on wd2 in my config file, but no dump occurred (I checked .  I
did savecore -f in single user mode to try to get anything out of the
swap device to no avail.  I managed to locate where the page fault
occurred based on an earlier post by roberto@eurocontrol.fr:
    nm /kernel | sort |grep 0xf01948
The panic was reported at EIP=0xf01948a4 which is _initialize_smw in my
kernel.  I would like to see the actual offending line of code.

So my questions are:
1. Is there a way to load the kernel.debug in gdb and correlate
addresses with lines of code?  (Like on HP-UX w/ xdb: one can use 'td')
2. Why am I not getting a core dump?  Would the disk "rattle" a bit to
save the kernel core, or is it already on the swap device?  Ie. what
macroscopic events would tell me that I got a dump?  (Possibly: "core
dumped" msg on the console :-)
3. I have turned on savecore in /etc/sysconfig, but I have noticed that
the swapon gets executed first in /etc/rc before the savecore.  Wouldn't
this wipe out a core in the swap device?
4. How can one get any description of the I/O registers of a device?
5. Is my only option left is ddb?
6. Is a page fault essentially like a segmentation violation in user
mode?  AFAIK on i386 you have to install a page fault handler, which is
probably what the VM is all about.  Is this true?
7. Why is the "dumps on" feature being deprecated?  How else can we get
a dump if the system crashes before dumpon can be executed?  BTW, My
swapkernel.c looks like this:
#include <sys/param.h>
#include <sys/conf.h>

dev_t   rootdev = makedev(0, 0x00000010);               /* wd2a */
dev_t   dumpdev = makedev(0, 0x00000011);               /* wd2b */

void
setconf()
{
}