Date:      Fri, 18 Oct 1996 17:26:07 +0100 (BST)
From:      Kevin Quinlan <Kevin.Quinlan@isltd.insignia.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   100Mb/s ethernet and FreeBSD 2.1.5

Hi,

I bet this is an FAQ, but I can't find the answer in the mail
archives.

I am buying a machine to run FreeBSD 2.1.5. I would like to get
maximum flexibility and performance out of the ethernet card.

I would like to be able to switch between 10 and 100 Mb/s if possible.

I would plump for the 3COM 3C595 but I seem to remember reading that
there are some performance issues with this card. We also use Intel
EtherExpress series cards in house, so the 10/100 card from that range
would be a reasonable choice.

So would anyone be prepared to recommend a solution for me that gives
me the best performance possible with FreeBSD 2.1.5, at 100Mb/s but
also good performance at 10Mb/s.

Regards

Kevin Quinlan
--