Date:      Tue, 10 Sep 2013 00:16:55 +0000
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6724@bellsouth.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What is MAKE_JOBS_UNSAFE?

> Thomas,

> It prevents parallel ("make -j 4") build of ports, and your assumption
> about how to set it is correct; alternatively, it can be given on the
> make command line:

> portmaster -mMAKE_JOBS_UNSAFE=yes multimedia/vlc.

> It's described in Section 6.3.1 Building Ports in Parallel of the
> porter's handbook, and apparently a bit out of date, because
> MAKE_JOBS_SAFE=yes is now the default, and this feature must explicitly
> be _disabled_.

> Can someone from among the doc committers team please reflect the new
> default in the Porter's Handbook?  (I was looking at r42618.)

HTH
> Matthias

If MAKE_JOBS_UNSAFE=yes is already the default, then presumably trying to build or upgrade a port will fail just the same with this part specified?

Now "pkg info -r gio-fam-backend" shows

gio-fam-backend-2.34.3:
	mplayer-1.1.r20130308
	gstreamer-plugins-gl-0.10.3_1
	vlc-2.0.6_3,3

So to go to the last step ("portmaster -a") in this UPDATING 20130731, I have to somehow upgrade or get rid of those three reverse dependencies, or possibly

pkg delete -f gio-fam-backend

I see in other posts that vlc has had a further update/commit, and I could switch from mplayer to mplayer2, but what about gstreamer-plugins-gl, or is this not critical?

Tom