Date:      Sat, 14 Aug 1999 11:14:20 -0700
From:      Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        James Howard <howardjp@wam.umd.edu>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.NoDak.edu>, Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD XFS Port & BSD VFS Rewrite

On Sat, 14 Aug 1999 10:38:17 -0700
 Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au> wrote:

 > > What the GPL does is require that full source for the program be included
 > > with the program, and that full source, in my example, would include
 > > a BSD-licensed XFS module.
 >
 > It also requires that the GPL be attached to that additional source
 > component.  Go back and read section 3 of the GPL again.

If you're referring to:

  3. You may copy and distribute the Program (or a work based on it,
under Section 2) in object code or executable form under the terms of
Sections 1 and 2 above provided that you also do one of the following:

    a) Accompany it with the complete corresponding machine-readable
    source code, which must be distributed under the terms of Sections
    1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software interchange; or,

...specifically "under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above"...

That certainly applies to "the complete corresponding machine-readable
source code", but I think you'd be hard-pressed to apply it to individual
source modules which themselves carry different license terms.

Consider the following example...

Let's say I e-mail you the source module linux/drivers/net/bsd_comp.c,
which carries the following copyright notice and license terms:

 * Copyright (c) 1985, 1986 The Regents of the University of California.
 * All rights reserved.
 *
 * This code is derived from software contributed to Berkeley by
 * James A. Woods, derived from original work by Spencer Thomas
 * and Joseph Orost.
 *
 * are met:
 *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
 *    documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
 * 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software
 *    must display the following acknowledgement:
 *      This product includes software developed by the University of
 *      California, Berkeley and its contributors.
 * 4. Neither the name of the University nor the names of its contributors
 *    may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software
 *    without specific prior written permission.
 *
 * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE REGENTS AND CONTRIBUTORS ``AS IS'' AND
 * ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
 * IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE
 * ARE DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL THE REGENTS OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE
 * FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL
 * DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS
 * OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION)
 * HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT
 * LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY
 * OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF
 * SUCH DAMAGE.

...and you use that source in a product which is distributed binary-only.

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find someone to legitimately tell you that
you'd be legally bound by the terms of the GPL by using that source module.

 > We've had this discussion before.

Well, I think you came to the wrong conclusion :-)  'Course, you shouldn't
take my word for it.  I encourage you to speak to an attorney!  I certainly
do whenever I have questions regarding software licenses.