Date:      Thu, 24 Sep 1998 23:35:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Daniel Berlin <dberlin@danberlin.resnet.rochester.edu>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        Doug Russell <drussell@saturn-tech.com>, tlambert@primenet.com, jflowers@ezo.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Booting from NT ?

> ok, it is vmount-0.6a something... but the author's web site is
> unreachable at the moment. Does someone have a copy of this by chance ?
> (this does not solve my problem yet, but it is at least a starting
> point).
>
> One more question for those who have some knowledge of NTFS. Just
> how complex is to locate say one file in the root directory ?
> The idea would be have the boot block (512 bytes) locate and suck in a
> predefined file using BIOS calls, so the only problem would be to find
> out the parameters to pass to the bios.

Ho ho, you obviously haven't had fun with NTFS before.
Which version
3,4, or the upcoming 5?
It gets better, because your routines to read will almost work on the
incompatible versions.
You have to sneak up it.
I could try to get you the info you need, but I doubt i'd be able to
without violating an NDA or twelve (it's almost illegal for me to talk
about anything).
Sucks. I'd send you MSDN cd's but there is nothing on there about NTFS (i
mean, who would need specs, since MS already writes the FS drivers,
right?)

> At the very extreme, these values could be hardwired into the boot
> sector using a program while running in NT itself, and then act at the
> next reboot ?
Possibly.
Well, wait.
It might not let you.
I haven't particularly tried writing a boot sector in a while.