Date:      Tue, 23 May 2000 09:15:34 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Bruce Burden <brucegb@realtime.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org (Frebsd Questions)
Subject:   Re: Help on vresion numbers...

> I would like to know which of the FreeBSD 4.x line of releases are stable
> and good to use.

	I find 4.0 to be quite stable. And, there is only 4.0 at the
   moment for the 4.x branch.

> 		   I need to know which version is safe to use to develop a
> commercial device driver.

	If you are really that worried, you might want to look at the
   3.4 release. It was released about the same time as the 4.0 branch,
   so has many of the same features. However, the 3.x branch has been
   around for a while.

	What you probably do not want to do is work with 5.0, or what
   is referred to as -current. 5.0 is the "bleeding edge", and stability
   is not a guarantee. :-)

							Bruce