Date:      Fri, 06 Mar 1998 01:39:17 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Mobile <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: oddities with. 2.2.5-R on Toshiba Satellite 105CS

> Has bad block handling improved recently?  I remember trying to install
> 2.2.2 and not being able to, because my internal IDE disk had lots of bad
> blocks on them.  2.2.5's installer scanned for, and locked out, all of my
> bad blocks.  Installation was smooth sailing.

You should replace your disk.  8)

> I am having some problems, though, and maybe you can help me.
>
> 1.  My Toshiba Fn-keys don't work.  For example, I normally use Fn-F2 to
> cycle through my power saving modes (sometimes even when I"m on battery
> power I want to run the machine full-tilt for a small while).  This key
> combination does nothing.  Nor does Fn-F3 (change sound volume), or the Fn
> key that switches between the internal and external monitor.  In fact,
> none of 'em work!

This isn't FreeBSD's fault.  Those key combnations are handled by the
SMI interrupt handler in the BIOS.  For whatever it's worth, they work
just fine on most other Toshiba machines (eg. this here 220CDS).

Do you have APM enabled & so forth?  It may be that this interacts on
your system.

> 2.  I have my  BIOS set to turn the screen's power off after 2
> minutes of no activity.  This works fine -- if I leave the machine alone
> for 2+ minutes, it will turn off the LCD.  But when I press any key (to
> reactivate the screen), the screen does not reactivate -- it stays powered
> off.  I can still use the system (i.e. if I press backspace I can hear my
> bash shell beeping at me, I can type "reboot" and the system reboots
> etc.) so it is not completely locked up.

Again, that's an SMI issue.

> 3.  I tried using the "green" screen saver, and the DPMS (Energy Star)
> support in XFree86.  It does not work -- the screen blanks (i.e. it turns
> black), but the power to the LCD remains on.  Yes, my LCD display is
> Energy Star compliant.

The DPMS stuff can't (as far as I can tell) control the LCD backlight.
Without checking the APM documents closely, I think that's an APM issue.

Sorry I can't offer you more positive support.  8(