Date:      Mon, 6 Feb 2006 15:31:21 -0500
From:      Bruno Gallant <bsdnode@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   using freeradius + ldap + postgres + freebsd 5.4

Hello people,

I am having issues with a freeradius installation using ldap and
postgresql on a freebsd 5.4.

The radius server and the database is on the same machine, and the
ldap is on another one (both connected on a gigaswitch)

I have tried many settings to make freeradius work with postgres, but
it seems that under heavy loads, it breaks down, or gives me the
"Info: rlm_sql (sql_local): There are no DB handles to use!".

I have about 14,000 users, of these 2000 DSL subscribers and the rest
dialup users, with 3 NASes.

SYSTEM:
# sysctl -a | grep threads
kern.threads.thr_scope: 0
kern.threads.thr_concurrency: 0
kern.threads.debug: 0
kern.threads.max_threads_per_proc: 1500
kern.threads.max_groups_per_proc: 1500
kern.threads.max_threads_hits: 0
kern.threads.virtual_cpu: 2
vm.stats.vm.v_kthreads: 294

FREERADIUS:
max_requests =3D 1024

POSTGRESQL:

max_connections =3D 128
shared_buffers =3D 1000                   # min 16 or max_connections*2, 8K=
B each

If there are other settings you need to know, just tell me I'll post it.

Thanks in advance!

--
# Bruno Gallant - scion@bsdnode.net - bsdnode@gmail.com
# In girum imus nocte ecce et consumimur igni.