Date:      Sun, 2 Mar 1997 13:39:09 -0700 (MST)
From:      Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To:        Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RSA 56-bit key challenge

On Sun, 2 Mar 1997, Charles Henrich wrote:

> In lists.freebsd.chat you write:
>
> >On Sun, 2 Mar 1997, Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:
> >>
> >> hmm....5x86-133 uses 5 minutes to do 20Mkeys.  a factor of 300
> >> faster....there are faster machines out there yet.  remember the
> >> 6000(?) cpu intel box that the gov't bought.
>
> >    You mean the Paragon?  Massively-parallel computing would be
> >ideally suited for this type of job.  Each CPU grabs a chunk of the
> >keyspace and then works on it totally independently of all the others.
> >If you have a 4096-node system, with each CPU only capable of 100,000
> >keys/sec, you still end up with 400 million keys/sec.  That would be a
> >match for the world-wide effort under way with the genx.net server.
>
> No, he's talking about the Sandia National labs 9000+ PPRO 200 system for
> simulating nuclear detonations.  9000*350K/sec is 3150 MKeys/sec, they could
> break this in no time :)

AFAIK, it has 7624 PPRO 200s.  It is a massively parallel distributed
memory architecture and only cost $55 million US.  Anyone want to take up
a collection for one?  Guess FreeBSD's SMP code isn't up to this sort of
architecture though...

ISTR an article I read on it suggesting that something like it could be a
good solution for companies wanting web servers!?!  I love the press;
everything has to relate to the web somehow...