Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 2006 10:39:52 +1000
From:      Michael Vince <mv@thebeastie.org>
To:        "M. Goodell" <freebsdutah@yahoo.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Java <freebsd-java@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Java 1.5 Stability Question

M. Goodell wrote:

>We started building: /usr/ports/java/jdk15 from source and immediately saw
>  the message: "WARNING: This is BETA quality software!"
>
>  Based on this information, we are assuming this port is not safe for a production environment, therefore, I would like to know what Java port, if any, is safe for a production environment in the FreeBSD universe.
>
>  We would really like to have the new features of Java 1.5 as part of our system we
>  are beginning development on. Is this a realistic possibility to have the latest Java 1.5
>  and FreeBSD play together?

The recommended Java to use for 1.5 is the Diablo Java which is certified.
The cost to get the Diablo Java packages together certified and
everything else totaled almost 60k according to the foundation financial
documents so you really should use them, and they don't require compiling!
http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/downloads/java.shtml

Mike