Date:      24 Aug 96 07:39:10 EDT
From:      Jan Knepper <106030.3360@CompuServe.COM>
To:        "[FreeBSD Hackers]" <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Novell Netware

Tony Tam wrote:

/* Could anybody tell me what are the advantages of a Novell Netware
Network? */

I don't know if there are any advantages anymore, but there where a lot in the
time that hardware was still expensive.
Novell NetWare had their best growth when everybody (almost everybody) was using
MS-DOS. IPX/SPX is a relative easy and small protocol. I think Rank Xerox
originally defined it. In todays world where the Novell Market share is
shrinking, Windows NT Server is growing, Unix is becoming more and more
important and even beating the NT market I would think IPX/SPX aint that
important anymore.
Also Novell NetWare actually has a 8.3 filename standard. Is has a high
performance filesystem, but if you ask me I would say it has been *designed* to
interface with MS-DOS.

/* Since Windows 95 comes with TCP/IP stack, file, and printer sharing
capabilities, why would a network need a Novell Netware server? */

You don't need one. You also can use a FreeBSD machine as File Server or even a
Windows 95 or Windows NT machine. However if you have applications that use
NLM's like the Btrieve Server for instance you can switch to Windows NT server
from Novell NetWare. Unix would be impossible for now since there is no Brieve
Server available for that platform. Like Btrieve there are many others that work
that way.

/* Moreover, FreeBSD supports samba, why would a network need a Novell Netware
server? */

Just for those that still use MS-DOS and want to share file, databases, printers
I would say.

/* Is there any technical advantages which IPX over TCP/IP? */

I *think* TCP/IP is much more a standard than IPX/SPX is. Also for this reason I
guess that NT 4.0 supports TCP/IP as standard. I have never tried, but for a
local network IPX/SPX might deliver the end user a higher performance. This is
what I was told. I can not support it with any proof.

<<<< Form a long term Novell NetWare user and developer >>>>

Don't worry, be Kneppie,
Jan