Date:      Thu, 23 May 1996 07:26:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>, sos@freebsd.org, gpalmer@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org, peter@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: src/gnu

On Thu, 23 May 1996, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > If it's kept as a 'port' rather than mutilated and stuffed into the source
> > tree, it should _theoretically_ be easier to get the FSF people to accept
> > patches to it.  I think the idea has a lot of merit.
>
> One plus is that with the ports collection model (and it's funny that
> I never thought of anything outside of /usr/ports including
> bsd.port.mk before, but thinking about it now it makes perfect sense :-),
> all the patches will always be broken out in ONE location and
> it becomes a very simple exercise to work with the FSF until your
> patches directory goes away - what other metric could be simpler?
>
> I'm not sure that having gcc bmake'd has ever bought us much anyway.
> Same goes for groff, for that matter.
>
> 					Jordan

You know, this sounds like an excellent idea!  I like the way that
patches aren't jumbled up with the FSF source tree.  I also like the idea
that this makes it easier for end-users to upgrade, for example, GCC, on
an experimental basis and have it install in the correct location
(/usr/libexec) without much work, then if there are no problems, it is
much easier to suggest that FreeBSD import the latest GCC.  It also has
the added bonus of making it easier to back up to old versions if
something goes wrong.

Also, in theory, this makes our CVS tree much smaller because we only need
to include patches and a link to the FSF .tar.gz file.  Then, a simple
"make extract" before the make world, will extract all the .tar.gz files
into the correct place (work subdirectory?) and everything proceeds
normally.  I like this idea!

This won't work with programs like gas and ld, for which our version has
diverged too much from the latest GNU binutils.  Of course if we switch
over to ELF, this becomes viable again.  In the meantime, I propose the
"ports" idea be used for GCC, CVS, RCS, groff, gzip, tar, and anything
else in the tree from FSF.  Even non-GPL stuff like ncurses would
benefit from this!  Comments?

|Jake Hamby| Ask me about Unix, FreeBSD, Solaris, The Tick, Motif, or NT, eh?|
"Hi, can I interest you in buying some meat over the phone?" -Lotus commercial