Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 2000 09:51:35 -0600
From:      Joe.Warner@smed.com
To:        "Jake Ludington (E-mail)" <jake@ediblehype.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org, freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: BSD Magazine

Why is everyone concerned with the traditional publishing model?

I wouldn't say everyone but speaking for myself, I like something
that has great content, illustrations and something I can hold
in my hands and read.  The same goes for books and reference
manuals.  I don't know if it's because it's just what I'm used
to and I don't know if I would have the same preference if I
learned to read online and had never picked up a hard copy
publication.

Joe

|--------+-------------------------------->
|        |          "Ludington, Jacob"    |
|        |          <Jacob.Ludington@ed.st|
|        |          ate.ia.us>            |
|        |                                |
|        |          09/13/00 09:06 AM     |
|        |          Please respond to     |
|        |          "Jake Ludington       |
|        |          (E-mail)"             |
|        |                                |
|--------+-------------------------------->
  >---------------------------------------------------------|
  |       To:     "'Michael Lucas'"                         |
  |       <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>                    |
  |       cc:     "'freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG'"           |
  |       <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>, (bcc: Joe          |
  |       Warner/SMS)                                       |
  |       Subject:     RE: BSD Magazine                     |
  >---------------------------------------------------------|

Why is everyone concerned with the traditional publishing model?  Wouldn't
it make just as much sense to establish an BSD Email newsletter that
provided poeople with useful articles delivered straight to their inbox?
The
authors of the articles could still get paid for their content, the
newsletter could be supported by selling targeted advertising (the same
thing that magazines do offline) and the content is already in an
archivable
format that could be referenced from the web anytime.  This would eliminate
printing costs meaning that the newsletter could be provided to subscribers
for free.

If anyone is interested in pursuing this model, feel free to contact me.  I
don't have the time or expertise to write the content, but I would be more
than willing to head up the launch and marketing of the newsletter.

Jake Ludington

jake@ediblehype.com

On Wed, Sep 13, 2000 at 10:45:21AM -0400, Chris Coleman wrote:
>> We did approach someone last year, but they said the market wasn't ready
>> yet.  I don't know if it will be now or not.

>I doubt it is, sadly.

>The "real world" (i.e., everything not on the Web) doesn't see much in
>print about BSD.  This needs to change before we see a BSD mag.

>Remember, publishing houses half dismiss the Web, and half quake in
>their boots over it.  While DN publishes some very high-quality
>pieces, it (from real-world POV) doesn't count nearly as much as the
>same number of articles in print would.

>Moral of the story: do things the hard way, submit BSD articles to
>print magazines.  They're not nearly as nice to work with as the web
>ones, but that's what we *need*.

>Also, if anyone does start a print magazine, I want a column.  :)

==ml

--
http://www.blackhelicopters.org/~mwlucas/
Big Scary Daemons: http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/q/Big_Scary_Daemons