Date:      Mon, 28 Jan 2002 21:37:21 +0000
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: docs for learning about CD burning?

On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 09:08:15PM +1100, Sue Blake wrote:
> I could also use Some very lightly technical info on different types of
> CDs and jargon like "CD-R", "CD-RW", "joliet" and "rock ridge". So I
> guess I'm looking for two docs, unless they're combined somewhere.

Hi Sue,

For jargon-busting purposes, I've found the CD-R FAQ at
http://www.cdrfaq.org/ to be most useful... lots of information you'll
never need, but probably everything you do need to know is there.

> Here's where I'm at so far.
>
> FreeBSD set.welearn.com.au 4.4-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE #1: Wed Dec 26 09:32:11 EST 2001     root@set.welearn.com.au:/local/src/sys/compile/SET  i386
> acd0: CD-RW <SAMSUNG CD-R/RW DRIVE SW-224B> at ata1-master using PIO4
> acd1: CDROM <ATAPI CDROM> at ata1-slave using PIO4
> lrwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel            5 Jan 20 01:57 cdrom -> acd1c
> lrwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel            5 Jan 20 01:57 cdwriter -> acd0c
>
> I've read the burncd man page, then found Dan O'Connor's tutorial
> at http://www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd/ and from that made
> some sense of what the man pages tried to tell me. From there I was
> able to do these with apparent success:
>
> 1. Make an ISO of a filesystem, then burn it to a blank CD.
> 2. Mount a FreeBSD CD, make an ISO of its filesystem, then burn that.
>
> There's got to be a more direct way of doing task 2, and the list
> archives mention dd but everyone seems to be arguing about exactly how
> to do it. So far I see that you can make an image of a data (or
> audio??) CD with a command like
>   dd if=/dev/cdrom of=filename.iso bs=2048
> but I don't know whether I can just change it to of=/dev/cdwriter
> to do the whole job in one action, or use a pipe to a burncd command,
> or does it only work via an ISO image on the hard disk?

I think you'd need to pipe that through burncd -- the drive will need to be
told to do things like turn on the write laser, finalise the CD, etc.,
which are not part of the ISO file.

Also, you're quite likely to have problems with a CD-to-CD copy when both
drives are on the same IDE bus, as yours seem to be.  IDE devices often
aren't too good at sharing the bus, so there's a good chance of buffer
underruns.  Unless you can move one of those drives onto a different IDE
chain, I'd stick to copying onto the hard disk first.

Cheers,

	Scott