Date:      Sat, 13 Aug 2011 18:37:04 +0200
From:      Christoph Sold <so@i-clue.de>
To:        John Fox <jjf@mind.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, fleisher@mind.net
Subject:   Re: Hard read errors

John Fox wrote:

>Hello, Listers,
>
>I found this in the dmesg buffer on one of my servers:
>
>   ad0: HARD READ ERROR blk# 3866393 status=59 error=10
>   ad0: HARD READ ERROR blk# 1518358 status=59 error=10
>   ad0: HARD READ ERROR blk# 1039006 status=59 error=10
>   ad0: HARD READ ERROR blk# 2050608 status=59 error=10
>   ad0: HARD READ ERROR blk# 3527216 status=59 error=10
>   ad0: HARD READ ERROR blk# 1892586 status=59 error=10
>   ad0: HARD READ ERROR blk# 2413168 status=59 error=10
>
>A few questions:
>
>1) Where can I find textual equivalents of the "status"
>and "error" codes?

Umm, AFAIR at the disk manufacturers manuals. But I'm guessing only
here, the whole information is inside the source

>2) How can I determine which slice these errors are
>coming from? (Does this question even make sense?)

Have a look at the (hopefully) saved printout from fdisk. This contains
start and end block numbers for each slice.

>3) Should I run fsck on each slice of ad0?  Any other
>utility I should run?

dump, to get a last valid backup from the dying drive, then restore
after you replaced it.

>4) What general advice can those of you with greater
>experience give me pertaining to this matter?

Experiencing a lot of these errors point to either bad cabling or a bad
drive. Check both, and be prepared for the worst.

Possible causes are
- The disk dies. This is fatal if you got no backup until now. Change
the disk.
- The disks cabling is bad. This is fatal to data stored while connected
with a bad cable. Change the cable.
- You are using DMA mode with a drive wich does not fully support it.
Switch back to PIO mode (see man ad.)

HTH
-Christoph Sold