Date:      Tue, 1 Oct 2002 12:50:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Andrew Gerweck <andy@gerweck.dyndns.org>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ports/43565: jakarta-tomcat41 port breaks upgrades

>Number:         43565
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       jakarta-tomcat41 port breaks upgrades
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD gerweck.dyndns.org 4.6.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.6.2-RELEASE #14: Sun Aug 25 15:25:19 PDT 2002 andy@gerweck.dyndns.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ENRIQUE i386

The Jakarta Tomcat port creates a bad filesystem mess.  Here are the problems:

1. The port doesn't use -sample files, so it tends to blow away configuration
files which are generally very complex and sensitive.

2. The port insists on installing in a directory in /usr/local that has the
version number tacked on.  This means that an upgrade requires a total
duplication of the entire installed structure.

While the structure of the port as is makes it very easy to get Tomcat running
the first time around, it is out of touch with how Tomcat is used.  Tomcat is
an application environment, much like an OS.  In practice, the environment
tends to be heavily customized.  The port is useless if it can't allow an
upgrade that preserves all the customization.  This includes the config file,
the shared directory, and all webapps.

>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
Stop putting the minor version number in the directory.  I'm pretty sure it's
against the porter's handbook.  Regardless, it's asinine.

Second, make sure that you don't mess with anything the user's done.  Most
ports do this just fine: install configuration files named -sample and perhaps
give a tool to help people get things working the first time.  In a complex
environment like an app server, a consistent upgrade path is far more
important than quick initial setup.